One of the things I had to do as part of my big move was pack up my DSL modem and send it back to the service provider. They had told me to take it to a FedEx location and send it with their account number, so naturally I went online to FedEx.ca to look for the nearest location. My search turned up FedEx World Service Center at 1 Place Ville Marie.
Now, I knew where Place Ville Marie is, but I wanted to make sure it wasn’t some other Ville Marie, since I’ve made that mistake before (Ville St-Laurent and Blvd St-Laurent are two very different places). I clicked on the link for a map and driving directions, put in my postal code again, and was given this:
Now I’m no geographer, but I’m pretty sure that is not the shortest drive from the McGill campus to Place Ville Marie. Some of the driving directions included:
4. Take ramp right for SR-99 South toward Bakersfield / Los Angeles (173.2 km)
5. At exit 24, take ramp right for SR-58 East / Bakersfield Tehachapi Hwy toward Tehachapi / Mojave (202.8 km)
6. Take ramp left for I-15 North toward Las Vegas (647.7 km)
7. At exit 132, take ramp right for I-70 East toward Richfield / Denver (808.2 km)
8. Keep left onto I-76 East (301.8 km)
9. Keep straight onto I-80 East (571.6 km)
10. Keep left to stay on I-80 East (191.5 km)
11. At exit 123A, take ramp right for I-35 North / I-80 East toward Chicago / Minneapolis (312.5 km)
Estimated travel time: 44 hour(s), 39 minute(s), 18 second(s) for 4847.9 kilometres of travel.
I must walk damn fast because I made that trip in about 15 minutes. I really wonder how FedEx manages to deliver anything in a timely manner with geography skills like that.